Thursday, June 28, 2018

USBC Weight Hole New Rule Changes

Over the last week or so, I have been in Vegas for Bowl Expo. And we had a blast. But, while I was gone — the day I left, actually — USBC hit us with another change, and since I have been so hard on them in the past about some of their decisions, this time around, I wanted to commend them.

The “this or that” rule, as I have heard it called several times in the past week, is basically an update to the incoming weight hole rules of 2020. And what the rule basically says is, starting after this year’s Open Championships, you are now allowed to have 3 oz of side (this) or a weight hole with less than 1 oz of side (that).

And I love it. It gives people that already have balls with weight holes the ability to throw them for a couple of years without having to plug them, but it also now allows bowlers buying new balls to start drilling balls without holes, so that they don’t have to worry about it in 2020.

Like we said in the first couple articles about the initial rule change, static weights do not matter. I promise. It has been studied and researched by people for smarter than you and I, and they have all come to the same conclusions.

So, given that, I thought it was odd that they were waiting so long to institute the change to begin with, personally.

I understand that it gave pro shops and bowlers time to acclimate themselves to the change, but it was a bit excessive; it just seemed like too long.

But this, on the other hand, is perfect. And I don’t use that word lightly. This is, without a doubt, the absolute perfect implementation of this rule. It doesn’t mandate anything, and it gives shops and bowlers options and time before having to fully adopt the rule change.

Now, I can personally tell you I already have several customers that have decided to adopt the change after Nationals this year. They just want to go ahead and get it moving. And that is fine. I also have other customers that are completely on the other side of the fence, and have decided to take advantage of weight holes and core manipulation for as long as they can.

And, honestly, I totally get both sides. Personally? I am in the middle. For the most part, I probably wont use holes often going forward, but, when it is necessary, I will absolutely use one if I feel the need to manipulate the numbers a bit. Will that be often? Probably not, but I like the options it gives me, at least in the immediate future.

So what do you guys think? I know the initial ruling had a lot of strong opinions — regardless of what side of the argument you were on. So where do you stand now? Is this a good compromise? Do you wish something else was done? If so, what would your solution be? Tell us in the comments section below!

Author information

Bowlersmart.com

BowlersMart opened their first store in 2004 in Hudson Florida as Cliff Barnes' Pro Shop. Our goals were simple:
1) Offer the best customer service at the lowest possible prices.
2) Have a wide variety of inventory readily available for same day service.
3) Have clean, bright well merchandised stores.
4) Help our customers enjoy the sport as much as possible so they can reach their goals.
5) Help grow the game of bowling by repeating steps 1 through 4.

Since 2004 we have grown to be one of the largest retailers in the country with 31 stores and counting and now offer the website with the same values as our stores.

Our low no haggle price in store is the same as our website so you can be assured you are getting the best possible prices and service.



from BowlersMart.com Bowling Blog https://ift.tt/2KtFNyw

No comments:

Post a Comment